I love that the days are getting longer, plants are emerging from the ground, and there is a sense of rebirth and renewal in the air. Yay, Spring! But if you are still feeling the winter blahs, I have come up with a list of five ways to renew your spirit right along with the landscape:
- Schedule a Reiki session. The long, dark days of winter can be a source of sluggish energy. It is time to recharge! Reiki is a light, laying on of hands technique that helps improve the free flowing nature of our body’s energy and reduces negative, stuck energy. During a session the spirit is restored as the mind quiets down and the body relaxes. Reiki is an excellent mode of self-care, reducing stress and facilitating a healing environment.
- Connect with community. The opportunities to spend time with friends and family increases with the start of outdoor activities. Sporting events, church festivals, neighborhood parties, and even a bonfire in the back yard brings people together to have fun and enjoy each other’s company.
- Volunteer. More activities means more volunteers. Usher at a baseball game, serve food at a church festival, or offer to walk the neighbor’s dog. Keep an eye on your local paper or social media for opportunities to share your talents and time.
- Donate. Spring cleaning can lead to decluttering. Donate your used items to charity and feel good knowing they are going to be put to use by someone who needs them.
- Soak up some nature. The browns and grays give way to green and all sorts of colors as the flowers start to bloom. Open the window or take a walk, breathe in the air, revel in the flora and fauna, and listen to the birds. Give gratitude to the beauty around you. The Earth has been providing for us for a long time, and reconnecting with her in appreciation can provide comfort and peace.
- Move Your Body. Many of us have spent the winter huddled under a blanket on the couch. The longer days bring ample opportunity to get outside for a walk or bike ride, join a sports league and let’s not forget yard work!
- Plant something. It is one thing to look at nature, it is a whole different experience to put your hands in the earth. Be mindful as you plant—smell the dirt, notice the texture, and give gratitude.
- Get creative. Sign up for a class on how to design a garden, paint a picture of a spring landscape, mold a vase for flowers, the possibilities abound! When you are deep into something you are passionate about, the world tends to fall away.
In order to lead a life of wholeness, it is important to balance the body, mind and spirit. We tend to spend the majority of our time taking care of our body, and a little less time taking care of our mind. Choose a couple items from the list and start feeding your spirit so it can bloom along with the Spring flowers!