Yesterday was Valentine’s Day, and for some it is a day of celebration with their significant other, for some it is a Hallmark holiday, and for some unattached, they just want the day to be over.
For many years I was in the last category. In fact, it was the reason 21 years ago I went out with several friends to go dancing. We figured if we were all single, why not celebrate the day with each other? (I think this was pre-Galentine’s Day). It was on that night that I met, and danced the night away, with my now husband. Little did either of us know that on that fateful night we would be where we are today. So you can imagine I have a little affection for the holiday, LOL.
The hubs is definitely the #1, but what other things am I in love with right now? Love just doesn’t have to be for a partner, it can be for all kinds of things. In no particular order:
- My friends: I am grateful that I have some I spend a lot of time with, and those that I see every see often but it is as if no time has passed.
- Our planet: What would we do without her? She will be here long after us, and if we don’t start treating her better, that time will be here before we know it.
- Mother Nature: I think some would say they are NOT loving her right now, as places are battling snow, ice and cold temps, but I think that gives you an even greater appreciation for the warmer temps and signs of spring that are around the corner.
- Plants: I know, I know, I go on and on. But they really are amazing specimens of self-sufficiency and nothing matches their design and execution. They bring me immense joy, and for that I am grateful and forever IN LOVE.
- Animal rescue videos: I am mildly obsessed with these as of late. Of course they all have happy endings, and to see these poor creatures go from scared and shaky to healthy and loved makes my heart grow like the Grinch at the end of the movie.
- Anything that makes me laugh: People, stories, jokes, you name it. Nothing beats a good belly laugh. And I will take all forms of calorie blasting. And it’s good for you.
- My final semester of school: As it is likely my last (but maybe not??), I am really appreciating it and soaking in the moments.
- Stories about people helping people: Every time I see someone’s selfless act, it inspires me to do the same. I always think when I see this, “This is my America”. There is so much negativity and division out there, to see people lifting others up can’t help but put a smile on my face.
- Craft beer: Of course I like to drink it, but the community is so amazing, and I it has introduced to me so many wonderful people. I like supporting my local businesses, and the fact that they give back to their communities.
So what does all my gushing mean for you?
If Valentine’s Day got you down, think of all the other things in your life you love. Your family, your pets, your neighbors, taking naps, a hobby, there are so many things that can fall into this category.
But let’s not forget the most important love of your life – YOU! It can sometimes be easy to forget that loving other outside things is so much easier when you love yourself. Show yourself some LOVE!
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
I am not a trained professional, but I am always available to listen. Please contact me if you need someone to talk to.